Texas Business and Commerce Code Title 5 Chapter 71 requires all persons conducting business or providing professional services to file an Assumed Name Certificate in the County in which the person(s) will be conducting their business. Please use the following guidelines when applying for an Assumed Name in Collin County:
- Assumed Names must be filed in the County Clerk’s main office located in the Jack Hatchell Administration Building, 2300 Bloomdale Road, Suite 2104 in McKinney.
- If you have partners in an unincorporated business, each person must be present to sign the Assumed Name document at the time of filing.
- Your Assumed Name must be filed with the County Clerk whether or not you are required to file with the Secretary of State. For more information on state requirements please visit the Secretary of State’s Name Filing FAQs.
- If filing by mail, your application must be notarized.
- Assumed Name Certificates are valid for 10 years from date of issue.
- You may file more than one Assumed Name.
- Assumed Name Certificates may have more than one registrant.
- There is no age requirement for filing an Assumed Name.
Filing fees will vary according to the type of Assumed Name Certificate you are filing.
For information on correct filing fees, please call our McKinney office at 972-548-4185.
If you mail your application and pay by check, you must include a legible copy of your valid, government issued photo ID with your notarized application.
All checks are to be made payable to: Collin County Clerk.
For more information or if you have any questions you may contact us at email@example.com or by calling 972-548-4185.
Important Note: Many businesses are required to obtain a sales and tax permit to sell their product. To find out if this requirement applies to your business, please call the State Comptroller at 1-800-252-5555.